Forgiving someone for doing you wrong can be one of the most difficult things you will ever have to do in your life. It goes against everything you may be feeling inside. However, when you forgive another it offers you the ability to heal and move on with your own life.
But finding the strength to recognize that whatever anger or hatred you have cannot undo what has already happened and can only hamper your life moving forward is the first step towards taking your life back.
So, for those up to the task of moving on, we offer these quotes to give you the strength and encouragement to take that step and forgive someone.
20 Quotes on Forgiveness
1. To understand is to forgive, even oneself. – Alexander Chase
2. To err is human; to forgive, divine. – Alexander Pope
3. There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love. – Bryant H. McGill
4. “To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.” – C.S. Lewis
5. The things two people do to each other they remember. If they stay together, it’s not because they forget; it’s because they forgive. – Demi Moore in Indecent Proposal
6. “The secret of forgiving everything is to understand nothing.” – George Bernard Shaw
7. “I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive. Forgiveness ought to be like a cancelled note – torn in two, and burned up, so that it never can be shown against one” – Henry Ward Beecher
8. Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave. – Indira Gandhi
9. Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names. – John F. Kennedy
10. The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. – Mahatma Gandhi
11. The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world. – Marianne Williamson
12. “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.” – Mark Twain
13. True reconciliation does not consist in merely forgetting the past. – Nelson Mandela
14. Always forgive your enemies – nothing annoys them so much. – Oscar Wilde
15. “To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.” – Robert Muller quotes
16. “Forgiveness is the remission of sins. For it is by this that what has been lost, and was found, is saved from being lost again.” – Saint Augustine
17. “Forgotten is forgiven” – Scott Fitzgerald
18. “We read that we ought to forgive our enemies; but we do not read that we ought to forgive our friends” – Sir Francis Bacon
19. The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget. – Thomas Szasz
20. ‘It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend’ – William Blake