Inspirational sports quotes are meant to help athletes break through that mental wall that they all face at some point. Your body may be telling you to stop. It may be telling you that you are too tired, and don’t have the strength to continue.
That’s where these timely quotes can help. They give you motivation and inspiration to find a way to get through what seems impossible.
So choose your favorite couple of quotes below to memorize, and save them for when you need them most. You will be glad you did.
Our Favorite Inspirational Sports Quotes
1. Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them — a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. – Muhammad Ali
2. One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team. -Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it. – Michael Jordan
4. To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you’re not, pretend you are. – Muhammad Ali
5. You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy. -Arthur Ashe
6. Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. -Lance Armstrong
7. The day you take complete responsibility for yourself, the day you stop making any excuses, thats the day you start to the top.
8. Some people say I have attitude- maybe I do…but I think you have to. You have to believe in yourself when no one else does- that makes you a winner right there. -Venus Williams
9. The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime. -Babe Ruth
10. You can motivate by fear, and you can motivate by reward. But both those methods are only temporary. The only lasting thing is self motivation. -Homer Rice
11. It’s not so important who starts the game but who finishes it. -John Wooden
12. You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them. -Michael Jordan
We hope you enjoyed some of our favorite inspirational sports quotes!