Whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not, taking a moment to reflect and give thanks for all the wonderful things around us can be very beneficial.
So, in honor of Thanksgiving Day, here are some wonderful quotes to get you in the mood to give thanks.
20 Quotes Inspired by Giving Thanks
1. If we meet someone who owes us thanks, we right away remember that. But how often do we meet someone to whom we owe thanks without remembering that? – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
2. As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. – John Fitzgerald Kennedy
3. If the only prayer you ever say in your whole life is ‘thank you’, that would suffice. – Meister Eckhart
4. If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily. – Gerald Good
5. It is delightfully easy to thank God for the grace we ourselves have received, but it requires great grace to thank God always for the grace given to others. – James Smith
6. Nothing purchased can come close to the renewed sense of gratitude for having family and friends. – Courtland Milloy
7. “Now thank we all our God, With hearts and hands and voices; Who wondrous things hath done, In whom this world rejoices. Who, from our mother’s arms, Hath led us on our way, With countless gifts of love, And still is ours today.” – Martin Rinkart
8. Once, when my feet were bare, and I had not the means of obtaining shoes I came to the chief of Kufah in a state of much dejection, and saw there a man who had no feet. I returned thanks to God and acknowledged his mercies, and endured my want of shoes with patience. – Sadi
9. Our Creator shall continue to dwell above the sky, and that is where those on earth will end their thanksgiving. – Seneca
10. Praise is the best auxiliary to prayer; and he who most bears in mind what has been done for him by God will be most emboldened to supplicate fresh gifts from above. – Henry Melville
11. Remember God’s bounty in the year. String the pearls of His favor. Hide the dark parts, except so far as they are breaking out in light! Give this one day to thanks, to joy, to gratitude! – Henry Ward Beecher
12. “So once in every year we throng; Upon a day apart, To praise the Lord with feast and song; In thankfulness of heart. -Arthur Guiterman”
13. Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow. – Edward Sandford Martin
14. Thank God every day when you get up that you have something to do that day which must be done whether you like it or not. Being forced to work and forced to do your best will breed in you temperance and self-control, diligence and strength of will, cheerfulness and content, and a hundred virtues . – Basil Carpenter
15. Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude. – E. P. Powell
16. Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence. -Erma Bombeck
17. Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action. – W.J. Cameron
18. The pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts… nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. – H. W. Westermayer
19. True thanksgiving means that we need to thank God for what He has done for us, and not to tell Him what we have done for Him. – George R. Hendrick
20. We will speed the day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing… Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, I’m free at last. – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.