Born: June 11, 1913 – New York
Died: September 3, 1970 – Washington DC
Profession: Hall of Fame Football Coach wiki
Vince Lombardi used football as a metaphor for life. He was able to motivate his players both on and off the field. The result was several championships and multiple “coach of the year” awards. In addition, the Super Bowl Trophy given to the best team each year is named “The Vince Lombardi Trophy”.
His influence has stood the test of time and his wisdom can be applied to everyday life. Take a moment and motivate yourself with one of these classic Vince Lombardi quotes.
25 Vince Lombardi Quotes – Wisdom Through Sports
1. It’s easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you’re a winner, when you’re number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you’re not a winner.
2. We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.
3. I firmly believe that any man’s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.
4. It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.
5. Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
6. Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser.
7. The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.
8. Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate.
9. Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you’re willing to pay the price.
10. Football is like life – it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
11. Once you agree upon the price you and your family must pay for success, it enables you to ignore the minor hurts, the opponent’s pressure, and the temporary failures.
12. The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.
13. Winners never quit and quitters never win.
14. Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
15. Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing-the result.
16. Some people try to find things in this game that don’t exist but football is only two things – blocking and tackling.
17. Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
18. I will demand a commitment to excellence and to victory, and that is what life is all about.
19. Leaders aren’t born, they are made. And they are made just like anything else, through hard work. And that’s the price we’ll have to pay to achieve that goal, or any goal.
20. Confidence is contagious; so is lack of confidence.
21. Getting to the final is everything, and winning is icing on the cake.
22. Individual commitment to a group effort — that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.
23. There is only one way to succeed in anything and that is to give it everything.
24. When you’ve got the momentum in a football game… that is a time to keep going and get it into the end zone, … We want to score for America’s families.
25. If winning isn’t everything, why do they keep score?